Friday 26 February 2010

Smoking

I work in a pub so I must admit that when the smoking ban came into place I appreciated the fact that I could return home from work with out smelling of smoke.
However the other day whilst at work my friend made a very good point, with the lack of smoke in the air we could know longer mask the smell of dirty, old men by the smell of cigarettes. This funnily enough making me miss the smell of smoke which I had so easily considered a bad thing.

Although I still agree with the smoking ban considering the idea of passive smoking, especially when considering children. As some parents do smoke directly in contact with their babies/ small children obviously when the choice is not theirs to make as they are surrounded by it automatically.

However saying this I have very fond memories with the smell of tobacco, as my grandad used to smoke a pipe.

I think the topic of smoking is easily debated and I thought it was a very good choice of topics when considering 'being bad'. There are so many views and images of smoking and people who do smoke. Either views of it being a disgusting habbit, the creator of an image for example the idea of making someone look 'cool' or in an other context of smoking being linked to sexuality.

Smoking is evident in many aspects of the media not only in past but present day also and in many ways it is used to create images of rebellion.
http://http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/An example of this being Cruella Devil in the Disney Film 101 Dalmations who's character is viewed smoking a long cigarette, this not only showing the characterisation of rebellion but of glamour and status when considering her character.

No comments:

Post a Comment